19/02/2007

Walking through thin air


From Kathmandou in Nepal I have arrived in Lhasa. Before arriving to the holy city I was very worried; not knowing how the situation was, I was obliged to be very cautious. So I have decided to take a plane instead of the bus which goes through the high lands between the notorious Nepalese and the Tibetan Chinese border. (especially after the recent incident of the Chinese soldiers' killings of Tibetan refugies on the Nepalese pass happened in November 2006)

Before boarding, I suddenly realised that I still have a few pictures of the Dalai Lama and the Karmapa in my wallet. Swiftly but not without some cursing about the ridiculous situation, I have left them under the seat of the airport waiting hall...

The Dalai Lama and the Karmapa, being the spiritual leaders of the tibetan people, are themselves refugies living in India. The mere showing of their images in Tibet is considered as rebellious act against the unity of the People's Republic of China. Having the project in my mind, I could not afford to take any risk before arriving to my destinations.

From Dharamsala in India I have prepared 7 videos, featuring different Tibetan refugies talking and singing to their families through the camera. The mission is to go find their families in different places in Tibet, show them the videos and then film them and bring back to India.

The places to be visited are: Lhasa, Pelbar, Chamdo, Tengchen and Pasho.

Aucun commentaire: